PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forces in Afghanistan 'for years'
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2008, 12:40
Biggus

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts
Sorry for the first reply to go straight off the Afghanistan point, but an issue was raised I feel strongly about.....

As I have said before on other threads I don't consider the AFPRB to be truely independent (you may feel differently)....

Look at Office of Manpower Economics

On which it states quite clearly......

In reaching its recommendations, the Review Body is to have regard to the following considerations:

the need to recruit, retain and motivate suitably able and qualified people taking account of the particular circumstances of Service life;
Government policies for improving public services, including the requirement on the Ministry of Defence to meet the output targets for the delivery of departmental services;
the funds available to the Ministry of Defence as set out in the Government' s departmental expenditure limits; and
the Government' s inflation target

Look at the last 2 'considerations'. How can you have an 'independent' body which is told.....'come up with a figure, but this is all we can afford and you mustn't be above our inflation target.....'. If the board thought the Armed Forces deserved 20% (which I'm sure they don't) and the Government's inflation target is 2%...????