PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA aircraft crashed in Honduras
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2008, 11:06
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RWA
1. the flight crew received a warning,
No. Caution messages are inhibited in this phase.
2. Any warning was about something else
No. Caution messages are inhibited in this phase.
3. The pilot was only referring to the RA readout.
No. Not the RA read-out (unexploitable because of the terrain), but the baro altitude tape on the PFD
that exactly the same thing (amber warning passing 1,000 feet) happened at Cardiff.
No.They were, at Cardiff, shooting an ILS auto-land. There is no MDA, hence no amber tape on the PFD.
that appears to have been a departure from the most prudent procedure, which I believe is to wait for the ‘spoilers’ call before deploying reverse thrust.
Funny that most training departments disagree with that "prudent" procedure.
A rejected landing is a very demanding maneuver, even more so that it requires a highly developed crew co-ordination, without any hesitation or misunderstanding between the two pilots.
What is recommended is a go-around - down to the flare - if the landing *geometry* doesn't seem right.
So, we stick to the SOPs : Once on the ground -> Full reverse on the T/Ls ; the spoilers will extend, then the reverse lights will come on, followed by engine acceleration...etc...
That appears to be an entirely reasonable comment, in light of what was said on here a few months ago about the folly of the Congonhas pilot in deploying the reverser straight away?
If I remember that discussion correctly, there was a few older pilots advocating that technique. And I don't recall anyone speaking of "folly". Their piloting error was leaving a T/L in the CL detent, with dire consequences.
The rest of the pilots tended to consider an aborted landing as a very very last resort.
A remark on that kind of procedure : There are SOPs and good SOPs cover all aspects of the airline operations. We cannot afford to have special techniques for special runways...and personal techniques should be eliminated.
can anyone please tell me how the PNF checks that spoilers have deployed fully on an A320? Can it be done visually - craning your neck through the side window - or is it just a matter of checking a light on the panel?
We are no longer on a Piper Cub. On the lower ECAM there is an automatic page selection for each flight phase, here the *WHEEL* page,on which a diagram of the spoilers is displayed. Little green arrows above each spoiler confirm their deployment. The inoperative spoilers are shown in amber (that's another one for you to jump on !).