PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you teach Situational Awareness?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2008, 10:31
500e

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Effective Situational Awareness in helicopters falls slightly short of absolute paranoia as there are multiple ways you can be done in. Fostering a mindset that keeps that notion fresh but subliminal is the key."
So that's why I am still alive.
Early in training I was so overloaded it was as much as I could do to listen let alone talk.
Scan for other aircraft,( is it a bird) scan instruments, check map ( we are Where), listen to radio ( was it us or xxx they called), listen to aircraft (was that a new rattle squeak or bonk), fly the thing!! & then you want me to Listen & Talk to you as well.
Most of it came in time but I think situation awareness can be taught to a level but after that there is a further level that is not teachable & with some people not even explainable. I agree with Spinwing to a point.
There are people who drive fast cars competently but have no situation awareness these are the ones that scare me, no forward thinking, no what if.
Flown with one or two as well, I may not be as competent a flyer, but I have done the what if, & they have left no room for unforeseen problems, I always try to go over each flight and see where I could have improved, self assessment as long as you are truthful helps to increase awareness,