PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed forces 'get free education'
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2008, 10:19
Biggus

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
No doubt the devil will be in the detail, which we have yet to see. But in terms of the 'headline statement', i.e. university education - what about pre university educational qualifications, e.g A levels. Will the ex-military get a bye on that, so making a two tier situation and causing resentment from other students who have fully qualified, or if you are ex-military and don't have the pre-quals don't you get a slot - making it not actually a scheme open to all?

As someone who already has a degree, do I get funded for a second by the MOD when I leave the military?

Is this going to be a meaningful package, or, seeing that the RAF alone needs to recruit 4,500 odd this year, a recruitment incentive, on the basis of 'join the military now, put off your degree till later, you can do it when you leave and the MOD will pay the fees......'!!!

And of course it means the minister can stand up in the house and say how much they are looking after the troops - then again maybe they are, but at £9,000 a person, with an almost certain ultimate take up of well less than 100% (how many people leaving after 6-40 odd years in the military, with families to support, bills to pay, will be able to afford to take 3 years off to do a degree - even if the tuition fees are apaid for) its peanuts!

I do hope it is actually a good scheme - as I say, we will know when we see all the details........