PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checkerboard
Thread: Checkerboard
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2001, 16:27
scanscanscan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quiffi.. You land on the runway, not the checkerboard and it was the runway threshold that my company wanted for visual reference at minima, not the checkerboard.
I did the IGS (767 and L1011) by flying down the igs to minima,and at the 100 above call, visual scaning right, 50 degreeish, if I saw the threshold and idented the lead in lights and sequence flashers (rabbit) I called land at the nhp decide call ( at the 100 above call I started mentally counting to five
(quite quickly!) whilst scanning for the runway, if I got to five and no call decide and no visual reference I was back on the gauges and the altimiter minima to action the goaround.
The nhp and FE had a bad habit of dieing at this point in the simulator or both being instructed to miss the decide call) disconnected the Auto pilot and ats and banked right 30 degrees initially and then reduced bank to maintained these lights between my knees and followed the lead in lights and rabbit to the threshold.
I would ask the nhp to continuously called the ROD and airspeed,( it kept us all in the loop and I felt helped my limited flying ability) then the standard manual landing height calls.
At the decide call (minima) the A/P and A/Throttle were disconnected and the f/d switched off only if the captain had responded Land.

If at Decide call, (or at minima if the call was missed) he did not have the required visual reference he responded Goaround and the automatics were retained and it was done on auto pilot.
The banked turn in, started at minima as per the approach plate, and this worked for us. For my sins I did this approach from 1975 until the new airport opened and I never used the checker board!!
On the igs I was either on instruments or visual with the threshold and tracking the lights and the rabbit.
I did not use the football field for navigation either but always asked and got precision radar monitoring for my approaches, and why not? If you are no good you need all the back up you can get!!
At one time there was a rumour of some false localiser captures , followed by g/s capture, not nice.
I was told that a few L1011 and 747 did in fact fly around the checkerboard, at minima, clockwise!
And they still landed on rw13.
Cheers,

[ 17 December 2001: Message edited by: scanscanscan ]