PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RIAT - Sunday cancelled.
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2008, 22:38
Rafair7643

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem, as I said on another thread (I think) is that whether you PSP or not, you will still have mud being transferred onto the public road.

Not sure about English Law, but in Scotland that can lead to a charge under the Roads (Scotland) Act against the organisers (in the event of an accident).

Now I have never been down to Fairford, however from what I hear, the road infrastructure is pretty much swamped by RIAT crowds, even in good weather.

Many folks look at RIAT involving staff etc in or on the boundary of the venue. Unfortunately, Policing such an event extends some distance from the venue. With this years deluge (again whether using PSP or not) the delays in exiting from car parks would be compounded.

Such delays are, to the spectator, an embuggerance to say the least. From a Policing standpoint, it becomes a nightmare, and an expensive one. You've suddenly got officers on extended duty and the costs of that will eventually be bourne by the organisers, or if you like, the Charity.

Another point worth considering. At the moment the spectators roll up and park in fields, and I'm sure that they're are plenty of signs advising that they do so "at their own risk". However, the minute you PSP the entire field or part thereof, you can no longer dump the responsibility on the spectator. You (as an organiser) have provided a surface for them to drive/park on and you are liable for any damage which results from the surface you have provided.

Folks, I can understand the frustration you feel..............been there, seen it and bought the T Shirt. There is however, little point in lambasting RIAT or asking for hardstandings etc. Fairford is first and foremost an active base, the surrounding area is not built to cater for 100,000.......but by luck they somehow manage. You can have in place all contingency plans you can think of, and still be caught out.

As I said before, just be thankful that RIAT are not holding you all to the conditions of sale..............they're giving you all a refund, rather than sitting back and pointing at the small print.

Cheers

Stew

btw I'm not military - ex RAF/VR and as you might have guessed a retired cop, who spent a lot of time standing in the p*ssing rain at such events!