PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2008, 16:33
Magic Mushroom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CVF is a Defence capability, not just an RN one, and no one would be more delighted than me to see joint arguement in its favour, but this is not happening - apart from people like you and a few others.
That is not my experience Bismark. I find the vast majority of RAF types are in favour of CVF, although I'll acknowledge many doubt the wisdom of procuring 2 x 65 000 vessels. I was one who favoured smaller 40 000 ton LHD style designs, but have now been won over by the likes of Not a Boffin.

However, why wouldn't we support CVF? A significant amount of our future fast jet procurement is predicated upon operating from it, and our helos are regular visitors. I'll acknowledge that there has been some shenanigans regarding the variant of F-35 favoured, but there are small communities of both shades of blue who seek to undermine the other.

Likewise, I've heard at least 2 RN Flag officers (one an engineer, the other having an AWO/PWO background) arguing that 'I don't care who flies the aircraft, as long as we get CVF!' So it's not just elements within the RAF who sometimes undermine the FAA.

Overall however I find the vast majority of my RAF colleagues are in favour. We must now ensure that that united front is maintained. Arguing for or against one specific flavour of air power will only undermine Joint capability.

Regards,
MM