PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Redundancies
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2008, 16:13
KRUSTY 34

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Quite some years ago, after more than 10 years in the industry I found myself once again being made redundant. It happens, and at that time I had already lost 2 previous flying jobs due to the GA outfits I was working for going out of business. This time it was an airline, and the staff cuts were due to a commercial miscalculation by the board. What I remember vividly about that time was the attitude of the Middle manager tasked with our dismissal.

Cold words to the effect of..."You are now surplus to requirements. Please ensure that you have handed in all your uniforms and manuals by such and such date..., If we are in need of your services in the future we will call you, don't call us..." This bloke had been with the company less time than me. Held a bare CPL, and had an accounting background. He made little effort to hide the fact that we were a dime a dozen, and that the really important people were those such as himself, and most certainly not the pilots who in fact made up the largest employee group.

Eventually, most of us were offered our old jobs back (with a pay cut). Some had moved on, but most were just happy just to be flying again. Some years later this same ar@#h#le was himself uncerimoniously dumped when he became "surplus to requirements". Karma? Who knows.

I guess what I'm trying to say teresa, is that you are absolutely right. Little has changed in the way airlines in this country treat their staff. Is it any wonder that fewer Australians are now learning to fly. The mongrel tactics of the past keep repeating themselves in the name of commercial expediency. Maybe that's just the way it is. Rest assured however, there will always be a Judas willing to accept a handfull of silver to do the bosses dirty work.