PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Northrup Grumman/EADS win USAF tanker bid
Old 12th Jul 2008, 13:03
Lee Norberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KC-45A

JFZ90 wrote: Anyone know how long NG were in "Go Mode" before things the decision was officially overturned? I assume the USAF will now have put NG work on hold, but even this could still be costing them a fortune.

As soon as Boeing filed the "protest" with the GAO, there was an immediate "stop work" issued by USAF- just like Lockheed-Martin did when they protested the USN BAMS UAV. In both cases from what I know, there is immediate US Government oversight (by local DCMA) to audit job-charging for the suspension period. Other long-lead activities like purchased CFE from vendors was placed on-hold and staffing requisitons were also suspended. Many plans are impacted and skills have to be either
"retained" someway or reassigned.

As for NGC, I work for them in Bethpage, NY (different division) and of course they are dismayed at this political "football" being played in Washington, DC. As other posters here have said- let the better aircraft win based on the performance criteria spelled out in the RFP!

Yes, Boeing won the protest- but their tanker is a "paper-airplane". The NGC/EADS Airbus is flying and has made fuel transfers, end -of-story!

Lee Norberg
Oakdale, NY

Last edited by Lee Norberg; 12th Jul 2008 at 16:25.