PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 Crew get BA safety Medal
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2008, 09:48
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
- I presume we can take the AAIB words "The autopilot disconnected at approximately 175 ft," to be carefully chosen? (SB 1/2008)
You are of course correct and I have edited my post above accordingly. On both this and the other BA38 thread I only contribute in an attempt to quash some of the technical inaccuracies and wilder speculation so beloved of contributors.

Am I missing something ?? A couple of months ago Cpt Burkill is ranting against BA in the newspapers saying he wants to leave, is house hunting in Dubaļ, has written to Richard Branson to get a job, is going to get one with Emirates..........................and now he is getting a medal ??
What made him a happy bunny all of a sudden ??
I must have overslept.
It has been pointed out that a great deal of tosh has been published by the press regarding Captain Burkhill. Under BA's own rules employees are not permitted to speak directly with the press without permission. So the question might be asked who did and why in this case.

Nobody seems to have mentioned, from a pilot point of view, how the event would have affected us psychologically in obvious and not so obvious ways. Anybody who has ever been in a serious car crash might perhaps have an idea. After a car crash an individual doesn't generally have the press hounding them and their family nor their every action scrutinised, criticised or commented upon but many hundreds of people, with time on their hands and little understanding or knowledge, on an international aviation forum either!

I personally wish people would wait for the final report and leave the crew in peace for the moment. The apt American expression 'armchair quarterbacking' sums up many comments accurately.