PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAF translation for a newbie....
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2008, 07:25
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've looked but have not been able to find any real examples of PROBnn TEMPO in US TAFS.
Bookworm neither. See post #20.

So when all said and done - the UK TAF does not appear to confirm to the NOAA spec.
But that's not the point, is it? The ADDS site gives access to international TAFs and claims to interpret them. The least they could do is write their interpretation algorithm to the ICAO standard, so that all proper ICAO TAFs are properly interpreted. If the NOAA spec is tighter, fine, it will work anyway. If the NOAA spec adds things to a TAF or METAR (I seem to remember a RMK section with AO2 things in it in US METARS), add them to the algorithm to have them interpreted correctly as well.

Or add a disclaimer saying that non-US TAFs will not be correctly interpreted, with a link to an explanation as to why not.

But frankly, right now it simply doesn't work. My first try today (EHRD TAF) shows the exact same bug as we discussed a few days earlier.

EHRD 120554Z 120716 27010KT 9999 FEW015 SCT030 BECMG 0709 26015KT PROB30 TEMPO 0716 7000 -SHRA SCT020CB BKN030