PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Terrible Road Accident Rate in the UAE.
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2008, 05:18
captainsmiffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They just don't get it!

How can you deal with a people that just cannot see the error of their ways? I had a young local girl skid past me (I was on a red, stopped) the other week at a speed that hitherto was where v1 should be called! She went sideways through the junction, struck the kerb, mounted the pavement sideways, took out two embedded metal posts, skidded thirty yards sideways through sand before coming to rest in a fence and embedded in a hut!! I paced her skidmarks (no, the ones on the road!) and they were 500 feet long! The UK highway code says that an emergency stop from 112kph should be accomplished in 315 feet, including reaction time! And that is without sideways drag, kerb and post impacts and 30 yards of send, not to mention the fence and hut retardation as well!! One can only surmise at the true speed at which she was driving when the anchors were applied.....I was somewhat curt with her in the debrief.

Met her the next day, with her father, god bless him. He ended up telling me to get out of his country and that I was not welcome! I reminded him that my family would have been on a slab this morning and all he could respond with was 'good'. Local paper printed my tirade but edited out this last para.....heads in the sand!!!