PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747-200F down in Bogota ?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2008, 05:08
pacplyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hairy situation

Having flown flowers out of Bogota over a hundred times in the Classic I am not surprised to see on crash after take-off like this one.

Everything is balls to the walls and every limit is reached and sometimes exceeded, all of that at high elevation and at night when the crews are dog-tired and should be in bed.

The engine out procedure is confusing at best, and don't work too good as some of the beacons needed to fly the procedure are out of service or too weak to pick up.

Even with 4 engines turning we had a terrain warning during clean-up after a BOG departure.

A company I worked for lost a 747-200 in MDE as the Nr. 1 engine exploded right at V1 and the crew did not get the airplane stopped.

YouTube - Tradewinds Boeing 747 Rejected Takeoff Crash

Turns out Kallitta had overhauled the engines we used on the classics.
Perhaps there is a trend here, Brussels and all...?
Today 06:43

I've got to tell you....

Tower Dog, that sounds like one of the most difficult segments in which to have to operate. Second leg of the night.... Correct me if I'm wrong: If it's a heavy departure (say company wants to tanker some fuel) you've gotta be considering a bleeds-off T/O which means taking off unpressurized if the APU is weak or inop, right?: cleaning up at over 10,000 feet? (ICAO noise abatement? 3K AGL above?) , which.... does that mean masks on?

Nothing worse than trying to do complicated procedures in the dark with oxy masks on, imho. Add an engine fire warning and now you have to ditch the SID and switch to the eng out procedure in mountains when all you can hear is people breathing on speaker, mic's squealing, ADF's not pointing right..... Ugh.

The next thing you know, the memory procedures are completed for fire and the machine starts going downhill at full power on the remaining three. No way below 250kts to bring the start lever/switch back up and have it relight........ so the S/O would reach up and try to open the start valve on the one he just shut down.... did he remember to re-open some bleeds back there so he can do a crossbleed start and get that motor turning again? Did he remember to reset the overhead fire switch/handle?

Sounds worse than a nightmare from the "oh-dark-thirty" sim session.

The above is all just Hypothetical from sim experiences and in no way is meant to imply that's what happened in Bogota. But here, let me ding the objection call button for you.....