PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Terrible Road Accident Rate in the UAE.
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2008, 23:47
chainsaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But what they appear incapable of doing, indeed unwilling to commit to, is to stop their youth from killling themselves. With all this wealth and opportunity, they just simply can't do it.
True, Flying Spag Monster. Also true divingduck! The problem isn't confined to the UAE though!

The MAJOR problem is that many GCC youths are totally incapable AND unwilling to exercise any self-restraint, moderation or socially-responsible conduct whatsoever in most things that they do in public, and in particular, whilst driving. It seems to stem from their having been totally over-indulged and brought-up without any discipline whatsoever. Ever seen them out and about in power boats and/or on jet skis?? Same old problem set I'm afraid!

What's obvious is that the present laws and police aren't providing sufficient deterrents to stop the reckless, self-centred and totally irresponsible behaviour of these idiotic youths. If the road laws allowed for AND enforced the imposition of proper and appropriate penalties, which should include confiscation/destruction of repeat-offenders' vehicles, and/or 'naming and shaming' sanctions to deal with the socially unresponsible behaviour such as that exhibitted by many local youths in motor vehicles, then it may be a start to partially solve to the problem.

Fully solving the problem will be harder, because it will involve (amongst other things) a really concerted effort to change the local mindset that prevails in those youths from the 'I, me, myself, personally' self-centred, invincible, bullet-proof approach to everything they do, into a more socially-responsible, considerate, better-mannered and more agreeable way of behaving in public!

PS. Mullah...
burqa king
Didn't think the local guys wore those things!

Last edited by chainsaw; 12th Jul 2008 at 00:07.