PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2008, 19:54
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrloop,

I can empathise with you on some of the points you raise.

The taxi monopoly is similar to some other regional airports and I have had your experience at BRS more than once. The answer the airport gave me is that there are peaks and troughs and with aircraft sometimes experiencing delays it is next to impossible to have sufficient taxis available at all times. I understand this but still think better arrangements could and should be made, albeit it will never be perfect.

As for the Flyer coach, like the airport it has experienced a phenomenal increase in passengers in recent years (up 27% in May over the previous May for example) and will carry over half a million this year.

It should be a 15-minute frequency from the airport to Temple Meads and vice versa. The service is actually two routes, viz, 331 Airport-TM Stn-Bus/Coach Station and 330 Airport-TM Stn-Central Hotels-Clifton.

The section between the airport and Temple Meads is the most heavily used (through rail tickets are available) with the bus/coach station section also fairly well patronised.

However, the 330's section between TM and Clifton is very lightly used and is allowed around an hour for the full journey in each direction from/to the airport. This seems to be one of the problem re delays. Another is the necessity of having to stow big cases in a compartment under the coach. I've noted the Flyer taking over ten minutes to load at busy times which again doesn't help time-keeping.

I think they should concentrate on the TM-airport section and increase it to a ten-minute frequency at peak hours. At present the service is often like Bristol buses in general - nothing for a while then two at once.

As to the departure lounge, at busy periods I always make for the mezzanine level. I flew out in the morning rush recently and found the mezzanine level was a relatively tranquil area compared to the crowds below - note I say relatively.

The terminal building is operating at full capacity and the airport has plans to double its size BUT these have been delayed and delayed in the face of a very well organised anti-expansion lobby.

I no longer find travelling by air a pleasure and a crowded departure lounge is just another cross to bear as far as I'm concerned. If the lounge wasn't crowded it would mean there were few flights which is how Bristol once was of course.

On balance I am prepared to put up with most of the hassle for the convenience of local departures but I accept that not everyone will agree.