PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA aircraft crashed in Honduras
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2008, 14:31
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bsieker
One problem with the autobrake is that there is absolutely no indication of its operational status. Only of arming status and achieved deceleration threshold, and, on the ECAM, Anti-Skid-Operation.
An ECAM indication "AUTO BRAKE" green or amber (associated with an "Auto brake fault" warning), along with the setting is displayed, too. In fact, the brake ECAM indications have multiplied two or three-fold since the first 320s.
BUT, as you said, the real operational status is not displayed. ( I wonder how it can be achieved, though...)

alf5071h
If the landing briefing had considered the non normal aspects, then the limiting scenario might not have been encountered (avoiding short wet runways and tail winds), or mitigating action such a GA if the touchdown was not within specified distances or at an acceptable speed.
We do not have the transcript of the approach/landing briefing but from the r/t exchanges with both ATC and OPS, they had covered quite a lot of scenarii : landing on 02 with 5 kt or less tailwind, diversion (with 7 tons + of fuel...). Why the 10 kt value repeatedly given by the tower became acceptable, I don't know.
From the guessculations I made, it is quite obvious that they had a normal-ish touch-down (otherwise they would have exited he runway faster with more tragic consequences).

New points :
From the latest transcript, there is a puzzling detail : Before the 40 ft rad-alt call-out, the Captain was in charge of all communications... and then all the SOPs call-outs were made by the F/O... Who was flying the airplane in both stages ? According to SOPs, the captain did the landing. When did control transfer occur ?
The "quitame..." call :
The meaning of *quitar* are : to remove /to rub off / to take away / to eliminate or cancel /to doff.../ to rid off...
So far, we just assumed that it was "cancel(...) for me", meaning a procedural action. What if any other meaning is considered ?

Alf5071h's remark on Max auto brake made me research the deceleration values of an airplane with that feature. On the 737 NG, that max setting corresponds to a deceleration of .43G above 80kt and .37G below. So. to put their braking effectiveness into perspective - .35G-, they achieved a deceleration just about comparable with Max and far superior to level 3 setting -.224G- of a 737NG.

Last edited by Lemurian; 11th Jul 2008 at 14:40. Reason: addition