PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ramp Checked!
Thread: Ramp Checked!
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2008, 12:01
Bendo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tubby One

Your analysis of the blatant hypocrisy in this thread is possibly missing the point.

The "Regulator" has attempted to make some media and political mileage out of this "new broom" sweeping the top end "without fear or favour" (yeah my words not quoting them).

Have you ever been a Chief Pilot or CFI?

Can you tell me WHAT a ramp check achieves (in 90% of cases) other than proving that 90% of operators/pilots can write the "right" thing on the MR and are carrying their Licence and Medical?

In my experience ramp checks (and desk audits) tend to be used when they have something on ya. If they haven't been tipped off 'bout something you get the friendly benevolent treatment described in this thread. If you are a Chieftain RPT operator and you make a habit of pulling the Tiger's tail you get (or got) a LOT more attention usually focussed very closely on the "gotchas"

Similarly a systems audit merely checks you have your paperwork in order and you have sufficient IQ points to be able to falsify 7 pieces of paper to ensure your MR over-run or your Chief Pilot's medical expiry aren't caught out.

I would also suggest that the people whinging that the regulator has no teeth are usually not, as you would suggest, the same people pullng the tail of the toothless tiger.

Have another glass of red and have a great weekend