PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EZY Captain gets the boot
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2008, 11:04
A4

Ut Sementem Feeceris

Received 157 Likes on 32 Posts
Hmm, Interesting discussion. I don't have AGP plates to hand but I'm sure that somewhere on 10-4 or 10-9 (it used to be on the airfield plate????) it states that aircraft should maintain 180knots when established on the LOC and then 160 to the marker. All the comments regarding the ILS at 3.2° are correct. If you hit the glide in Flap 1 (Airbus) around 200 knots you will not be able to slow it down with out taking the gear first to get Flap 2 (not good practice to take F2 at VFE next -1 knot anyway.) So F2/180 actually works very nicely.

I cannot understand why people get so uptight about people decelerating. I'll admit 180 at 25 is a bit conservative - but that's the Commanders choice. Who knows it may have been his first sector after Command check. I always constrain my speed and profile at MAR - because often you get cleared direct to the 17D point (straight over the high ground....) and I don't want a high ROD trying to make up for a lost couple of miles - I'd rather they just let us fly the procedure - you probably only save <1 minute with the direct. So for me it's 220/FL65 at MAR - I'm then in a position to start configuring/decelerating and I can V/S the steps without any drama. It's worked for the last 10 years - and I don't plan on changing.

I like a simple(safe) life.

A4

Just found it:

250 <FL100
Reduce to 210 final turn to intercept LOC course when within 20 nm
180 when crossing 12D
160 when crossing GM Lctr

So, 180 from 12 is "standard" - not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

A4

Last edited by A4; 11th Jul 2008 at 11:18.