PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - absolutely NO sympathy for smokers in airport
Old 11th Jul 2008, 09:29
GwynM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TightSlot,
as always a moderate reply

I think that society is slowly changing in its attitudes to both alcohol and smoking. 25 years ago (or slightly longer) it was almost accepted to have one for the road before driving home, and people caught drink driving were treated by friends and colleagues as being the victim of bad luck. Now they are treated with disdain. The same thing is now happening with speeding - see the comments on some forums about Anne Robinson yesterday.

Five years ago the big 4x4 was seen to be aspirational, now the owners are pariahs, especially those blocking up my commute to work with the school run. There are other examples such as attittudes to fur coats.

The attitudes to smoking are also changing slowly, just look at how many films / TV programmes show people smoking. I have no objection to people smoking on their own territory, but when it impinges on me, then I object. As an example I recently spent 4 days in Kangerlussauq (using SAS air miles), and couldn't go to the bar because my eyes started watering when I got near it. Even on an xmas holiday in Switzerland this year it was noticable how many people smoked in bars, and that's after only 6 months of the ban.

If it were possible to stop the smell of smoke from reaching me, with excellent ventillation and use of separate areas, then there's no problem.

As for alcohol, I fully appreciate your point, and will try to be less leary in future