PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yet Another RIAT F**k Up!
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2008, 09:13
Terry K Rumble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sticking my neck out here but what the heck! Those of you that know me from Terrane, will know that I obviously have a vested interest in this thread, and I make no apologies for stating that when I was informed about this yesterday morning by one of my customers in Belgium, I immediately contacted RIAT to ask what was going on.

They refered me to the web site, stating that becuase there had been 'healthy' sales of advanced tickets for the Saturday, they had chosen to make it a ticket only affair. They were at pains to assure me that people could still come on the saturday; all they had to do was to buy a ticket in advance! I tried to explain that that just didn't make sense, but was told that they would NOT change their minds. They also said that as the word had gotten to a customer in Belgium, then the message was obviously getting round, which may well be true, however there are a great many people from overseas who will be coming either by ferry or flying in to the UK and will be unaware of the decision, possibly not finding out until Saturday morning, when they arrive at the gate. What do they do then?
Their parting shot was 'well, if you don't like it Mr rumble.......' Yes, OK, and thanks for being so understanding.

The whole affair seems to be completelty without logic to me. Either they are full, in which case I can understand the decision, Or, they are NOT full, which is why you can still purchase advance tickets I assume. If that is the case, why not let people come along and purchase their tickets on the day at the gate?

It is, without doubt, an unmitigated PR disaster for RIAT, and I suspect many traders will be just as irate as the punters over the matter.

Come on RIAT Organisers. You have published this event, arguably the biggest airshow in the world, for the past 12 months. Don't you feel a little ashamed at changing the goal posts at such a late stage, when a great many people will already be en-route to Fairford? It is an outrageous way to treat the public, the very life-blood that keeps you going and who give so much to the RAFBF. Please revert it back to how it was, and let everyone in on Saturday as well as Sunday. Thank you.

TKR