PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No ATC-TIBA- Your experiences
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2008, 07:43
SINGAPURCANAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE][he rostered controller can't attend work, or we are short staffed so that a shift is for some reason vacant./QUOTE]

Once you plug in,you are not allowed to leave position until new one comes.
It is so easy. There were a few situation when happened that new shift didn't arrive on time,but than you must continue until solution was found.
It could be against rules regarding length of duty and similar but AIP states that your facility is open 24/7. Rules regarding shifts have usually "local" status while AIP is state business and as such state guarantees that all data provided are correct to the maximum extent.

As I explained here,airliners pay here for the privilege to be controlled by qualified ATCO so I would like to see face of some Managers explained to Lufthansa's Vice president flight operation why some portion of airspace declared as A or C class was unattended for couple of hours.

Believe or not,even during the War,positions on my unit were covered by ATCOs. Frequency was out of service,airport was closed,airspace was closed by UN,NATO forces and so on but there were enough people to plug in,if necessary.
We are overstuffed by 80% at least,so many issues are not valid in my environment. For some people even Dubai offer is less than they could afford it at home.
I wrote it in the past,majority of ATCOs work ussually:
-Maximum 156 hours per month
-On frequency maximum half of that
-Up to 2 months annual leave(guaranteed)
-salary 3 to 5 times higher than average salary
Yes, we are 3rd world country(according to some officials),or service is not good as ASA's service,but we are not SLAVES!