PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew refuses to take off due to "hostile work environment"
Old 11th Jul 2008, 02:12
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
777fly

misd-agin:

You really don't get it.........

I love the ' just make nice PA's' and it will be better. I'll try to remember that next time I see a video of riots at a soccer match - ''Oh, if they'd only make nice PA's and explain themselves everything would be better''

It is of no use whatsoever to expect to placate and reassure a crowd of angry passengers from the sanctuary of the flight deck via the PA. They need the man in charge to be visible and in control of the situation, namely a leader. Any Captain who is not prepared to 'face the mob', own the problem and deal with it is not worth the 4 bars on his arm. The rioting crowd usually have a reason for the way they are. They can be calmed by an acknowledgement of their situation and a pledge to try to put it right. Put your face on the solution and they will always be with you.

I do get the impression that in the good ole USA you see the passenger as your enemy, not the person paying your salary. Just put yourself in their position. Do you want lame and anonymous excuses over the PA or a real and visible 'saviour' on the day? Your role as a Captain should encompass all aspects of the operation, not just flying the metal from A to B. Seeing the passenger as your friend might be a good start.

I don't hide from the passengers. Matter of fact I routinuely head to the gate to assist the agents because I know what's going on, while they sometimes don't understand the actual, or technical reasons, for any delays. I'm standing at the gate counter and a husband and wife approach me. I ask if I can help. Husband starts to berate me without getting to what I can do to help. I ask again, what can I do to help? He starts off again. I look at wife. She realizes I'll try to help if perhaps given the chance. She takes up my position and starts telling husband - stop, give him a chance to help. Not being an agent the amount of information I have access to via the computer is limited but I eventually send them on their way at a lower stress level. I'm glad the wife stepped in, because I was about to politely tell the husband I wasn't there to take abuse from him but was willing to help...until he went to far.

Sadly, passengers often give me, or pilots in general, a lot more credit than agents and feel comfortable giving agents a ration of grief. So off to the gate I go. I'm pretty calm, even handed and most folks sense that.

Some folks, despite the best efforts, "self select themselves to be removed". That's a term I use in briefing my crews. When passengers get removed from my flight I'm usually the one that tells them. Face to face. The people who can't get a clue(U.S. slang about realizing the situation they are in) get removed and life for everyone else is better.

777-"They can be calmed by an acknowledgement of their situation and a pledge to try to put it right. Put your face on the solution and they will always be with you."

"There you go again"(famous U.S. quote). Sorry, some people are idiots, *ssh*les, drunks, you name it. Nothing you say or do can solve their problems.

777-"I do get the impression that in the good ole USA you see the passenger as your enemy, not the person paying your salary. Just put yourself in their position. Do you want lame and anonymous excuses over the PA or a real and visible 'saviour' on the day? Your role as a Captain should encompass all aspects of the operation, not just flying the metal from A to B. Seeing the passenger as your friend might be a good start."

Some of the folks in the industry do have problems dealing with passengers. Why they stay in the business is beyond me.

I don't hide and don't pass the buck. Unfortunately somedays there is no 'savior'. You won't catch me trying to hide from the folks on that day, especially with a NY crowd that thinks they can take it out on the F/A's or agents.

Next time I read about a brawl, drunken behavior, or similar problems on a non U.S. carrier I hope you chime in with "if only a leader had stepped up."