PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 10th Jul 2008, 23:29
gonoles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interview status

I just got back from a Dubai interview. The last 3 interview groups to go started with about 8 guys and was cut by day 3 to just about 3 guys. From those 3-4 maybe 2-3 will actually be hired. While I did well in most areas and have high time and have done very well in past interviews and sim rides, I too was cut. It was very dissapointing. The fact is that they are full of class dates through the end of this year and they have a holding pool on top of that. There are some delays with the Airbus and the 777. You are lucky to have an interview cancelled now. It is better to wait for when they actually want to hire people. Just 2 months ago the pass rate was much higher, esp. to get moved on to day 3. If you do keep your interview pay for some practice sim time in the 310. It is well worth the money. Also even if you are an Airbus guy like me, ask to be on 777. The 777 sim guys have a much higher pass rate. They also are getting about 200 apps. a week. By the way, it use to be that they were looking at the person more. Now they are just looking at times and numbers, way more than other carriers do. The fact that they send qualified people home before ever talking to them face to face is amazing. It is a waste of time and money for both Emirates and the candidate. Some of the guys sent home were great people with lots of experience and great work ethic. One guy kept in our group was obnoxious, annoying, and arrogant. Definitely not someone you want as your captain. I would not be upset by a cancelled interview at this point. You want to wait until you actually have a better chance of getting the job. Good luck. We loved Dubai and would have moved there with the intent of retiring there. The lifestyle there is very appealing and the service and friendliness of many was amazing. The housing is a real issue. We were shown the ugly, small orange condos. Compared to Silicon Oasis this was very dissappointing and more like the projects. If people end up there, I hope they will stand up and say it is not tolerable. It is like one pilot having a $2 million dollar home while another is given a $750,000 home. Be patient and try to remember to look at what is best in the long run....a delayed interview or no job offer.