PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 10th Jul 2008, 23:19
dmcleod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Psa Flight Screening

NINJADAN....

I completed flight screening in May this year. You dont need to know anything about flying whilst there. The basic course is really easy, it starts off very slowly. I did the advance course and we only did a few more aerobatics (inverted, slow roll and barrell roll) otherwise they are the same. Advance fly 5 times in the Cap10 where Basics only fly 3. Your first day they will give you a big book and they'll have a mass breifing with you. The book contains all the syllabus ie. straight and level, aerobatics, circuits etc. (Also in your rooms there are 2 whiteboards full of everything from past students)

I wouldn't bother about trying to fly he aircraft before you get there. You dont need to know to much about them, they do all the checks you just fly. Both aircraft are really easy to fly just remember to trim. One note is the CT4 has extremely firm rudder pedals gotta push real hard to make her turn whilst taxying.

The book will have all the power settings and attitudes to which you must fly, once you get there read the book over and over.

What you really need to know are all the other things for officer selection board ie. roles of ADF pilots and you must know all 3 services, unless you havent even stated a preference for them. You have to know everything back to front, absalutely everything, research famous battles and Australian aces aswell (Bluey Truscott is a good one). Print off as much info as you can, its very hard to print whilst there (defence rules).

People take laptops there is wireless internet cost you about $30 to hook it up. There are also 4 computers in Pilot Common Room which are available all day and up until 12 at night when the motion sensors kick in. There will be plenty of time to study. You do 1 or 2 flight max a day the rest you have to sit in the common room and wait for everyone to finish. There are also more mass breifs and the Navy do a breif aswell.

Also the heating and cooling is **** it didnt work half the time and its a very thin blanket.

And another tip state all your preferences as 5 for all services. Your end score (stainine) is multiplied by your preference so you will have better chance, they told us if your preference is under 3 you probablky wont get an offer. You can always decline the offer.

Goodluck. msg me if you have any other questions.