PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew refuses to take off due to "hostile work environment"
Old 10th Jul 2008, 20:40
777fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
misd-agin:

You really don't get it.........

I love the ' just make nice PA's' and it will be better. I'll try to remember that next time I see a video of riots at a soccer match - ''Oh, if they'd only make nice PA's and explain themselves everything would be better''

It is of no use whatsoever to expect to placate and reassure a crowd of angry passengers from the sanctuary of the flight deck via the PA. They need the man in charge to be visible and in control of the situation, namely a leader. Any Captain who is not prepared to 'face the mob', own the problem and deal with it is not worth the 4 bars on his arm. The rioting crowd usually have a reason for the way they are. They can be calmed by an acknowledgement of their situation and a pledge to try to put it right. Put your face on the solution and they will always be with you.

I do get the impression that in the good ole USA you see the passenger as your enemy, not the person paying your salary. Just put yourself in their position. Do you want lame and anonymous excuses over the PA or a real and visible 'saviour' on the day? Your role as a Captain should encompass all aspects of the operation, not just flying the metal from A to B. Seeing the passenger as your friend might be a good start.