PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 727 Early high sink rate crashes
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2008, 19:48
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry if my memory is failing...which is proved daily...so, someone please correct me.
No, that's pretty accurate. I ended up with about 7,000 hours in the 727, mostly in the 100. I my experience as well I found the 100 much easier to land smoothly than the 200. If fact it is astonishing how fast you can stop a 727 on landing.

Now, in regards to the flaps 40 landings. We were cautioned about the high sink rate that you get into with 40 flaps, however, we were told that reason that most airlines had blocked out the 40 position was two fold. First was for fuel savings, it takes a lot more power at flaps 40 verus 30 on final and secondly for noise abatement. We had flaps 40 available on our 100s and 200, we seldom used that position for the above reasons. When the aircraft were modified for stage III the 40 position were blocked. However, we could remove the block if we deemed it necessary for operational reasons.

One thing I can tell about landing with flaps 40, when you pull the power off, you land, right then. I never dumped the 02 masks, but I've been on board when other pilots did. In fact one memorable landing a guy not only dumped the masks, but the life rafts as well. And that was a flaps 30 landing.