PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 727 Early high sink rate crashes
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2008, 18:53
PantLoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO

It's been almost 25 years since I flew both the 727-100 and 727-200, but as I recall, the SOP for that aircraft at my company required being stabilized on the approach no later than 1500 feet AGL (as opposed to 1000 feet AGL for the other aircraft in our fleet). This was due to the aircraft's ability to develop high sink rates with a dirty configuration, relatively low airpseed, and unspolled thrust conditions.

While I haven't that much time in the 727 (maybe only 2800 hours total time), I recall that, in order to get a good landing, the flare technique was somewhat different from other aircraft I flew. As I recall, as you came across the fence, you eased back on the yoke slightly...as doing so, increasing thrust slightly. Then, as nearing the runway, we relaxed the back pressure...perhaps even pushing a bit on the yoke...and perhaps increasing just a bit more thrust. Such techinque resulted on rolling it on at Vref +5 to Vref +10 or so.

Again, as I recall, the airplane stopped well...so much so that the nose wheel brakes were removed by most carriers....not necessary. Between the big main wheels and brake assemblies, and the reverse of those three engines, stopping usually wasn't a problem.

Overall, the airplane flew like a dream. I loved it. But, you had to be careful not to scrape the tail skid...especially an issue on the -200 model. Thus, on takeoff, we normally did the 'two-step' rotation technique. I can't recall, specifically, the numbers...but I'm thinking the -200 hit the tail skid (struts compressed) at 10.5 degrees nose up...11.25 degrees nose up on the -100...so, we did the first step rotation to about 9.5 degrees, until she lifted off, then, further rotated to an initial target pitch of 15 degrees (+/- for the various factors).

Sorry if my memory is failing...which is proved daily...so, someone please correct me.

PantLoad