PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Owning a light aircraft
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2001, 17:35
CaptainCrunch

Question Owning a light aircraft

What-ho, aviator types. I have a brief question which I am sure will not tax your no doubt planetoidoenal brains!
I'm off to sunny South Africa in July to complete a PPL + night and IFR course and, after that, I shan't be working until next year (lucky me). Since I'll want to buzz around the UK and perhaps even brave out the hop over to Le Touquet a few times I think that it would be cheaper for me to but an aircraft for a year or so and then perhaps sell it on (or keep it). As I see it, with hired planes from my local airfield (Southend) running at c. 100 GBP ph ownership seems the best option (I would happily do a syndicate but after a year I'll probably be working abroad and in any case I don't think I could find a group who would want me to fly, say, 20 hours a week, every week.
So, my question is this: If I buy a plane in the 15 to 20 K bracket, how much (and I appreciate that this will be a rough guestimate) would it cost to fly for those 20 hrs a week? I've no idea how much "hangarage", servicing costs or even fuel and insurance comes to. Does it equate to a family saloon for costs (please feel free to collapse laughing if I'm woefully below the mark here).

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Cap'n Crunch
[email protected]

PS. I promise not to cut in on your RT or bash my kite into yours.

[This message has been edited by CaptainCrunch (edited 02 April 2001).]