PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Knowing what you know now about this game, wud you have done it all in the 1st plce?
Old 10th Jul 2008, 00:15
jaimz1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought I would add my bit!

Hi everyone, I thought I would add my opinion to the post.

I see that there seems to be a slight bias to getting a 'backup' to flying, I agree with the sentiments, but what if you have always wanted to do it? why delay it? Why not go straight into flying at 17 / 18 and do an integrated course (if your financially able). That way you maybe be flying a nice shiny jet around at the age of 22/23. Then if your career becomes favourable, do a degree / masters when time permits.

I personally think you should give your all into any career you want, whether it be flying, building, mechanic, IT solutions, anything at all.

Also before I get replies saying you need a backup etc, I do agree and I myself have had the pleasure of uni twice and have a small sentence after my name, but I would trade it all to fly. Why? becuse the boredom and the stress of working 80 plus hours a week almost did me in!

However, going back to the original post from Treeshaver, the fact it has taken, I believe 2-3 years and no luck, well just keep going, your luck will change, it has personally taken me 2.5 years of hard work / research / dedication to just get on the CTC scheme. So when I come out in 2 years time, that's almost 5 years spent on trying to fly!

I believe if you want something it's a matter of doing the research and finding the best way of achieving your goal, to me CTC appears to be the best way, hence why I worked so hard to get it. I did get a break and the fact my gfs Dad is a BA capt really helped, (Moral support and masses of advice) but it was 2.5 years of getting rejected then studying, rejected, studying then a break and then I got it! It's not always a case of working harder, but working smarter. Very easy to say, but not easy to implement.

Last edited by jaimz1982; 10th Jul 2008 at 00:46.