PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So what was your first ever IMC solo trip like??
Old 9th Jul 2008, 22:10
Shawn Coyle

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was a terrifying, but mercifully short trip in a Scout. Which had two comms radios, no navaids, a transponder and the worst intercom / radio controller I've ever seen.
Going from Boscombe Down to Lee-on-Solent - perfect day for an IFR trip I thought. Checked the weather, checked the NOTAMS, checked the enroute supplement - everything in order. Maps etc. all sorted out. Launched into the goo and promptly discovered that a) the Scout was bloody squirrelly and b) that the black on black attitude indicator was worthless. Partly terrified at this stage, I continued, and managed to make the radio change to Southampton without going out of control. Asked how I wanted to get into Lee-on-Solent, I replied - "Radar approach". The response of 'The Radar's off the air for planned maintenance' was a bit unnerving - I'd checked the enroute supplement and knew that it was normally scheduled to be off on that weekday, but assumed that this would be like it was nearly everywhere else - off only if the weather was VFR. I mean, why turn it off if the weather was IFR and you needed it? This didn't help my stability, as I tried to figure out what I was going to do - radar to radar doesn't give you a good 'air picture' of where you are. Flying accuracy definitely suffered, and there were long pauses between communications while I struggled to keep the machine upright.
Eventually got a radar approach from Southampton and became a blurr of trying to unfold VFR maps at the end of the approach and motored on to Lee-on-solent. But I never, ever went IFR alone in the Scout after that.