PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ghurka Rifleman PUN VC. Triumph! (Merged)
Old 9th Jul 2008, 18:38
MReyn24050

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today I received the following reply from Tara Donnelly, Chief Executive
West Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust in response to an email I sent regarding this matter:-
I am writing in response to your email of 27th June 2008. I too have been greatly concerned by recent press reports about this Trust’s interactions with Mr Pun, and the public reaction to them.
The facts of this case are as follows. Last year we provided emergency cardiac care for this gentleman and a number of messages of thanks have been received by clinical staff for saving his life.
On Tuesday 24th June Mr Pun visited the hospital to enquire about booking a routine follow up appointment with the cardiologist who had treated him the previous year. As per standard NHS guidelines he was asked the usual questions to establish his eligibility for free NHS care.
This included a review of his passport which notes that he has ‘leave to enter’ the UK, rather than the more typical ‘leave to remain’. As the Department of Health guidance only mentions ‘leave to remain’ it was agreed that his eligibility would be checked with the Department of Health, and if all was fine an appointment would be booked for him. As with all patients, advice was given that payment may be required in the event of non entitlement. The discussion concluded perfectly amicably, with Mr Pun and his two friends who acted as interpreters, shaking the hand of Andy Finlay, our lead in this area. Andy spoke to the Home Office and the Department of Health very promptly and obtained clarity that Mr Pun was eligible for free NHS treatment.
Mr Pun was informed of this the following day, verbally via his solicitor and this was also put in writing.
Mr Pun was communicated with at all times with dignity and respect contrary to some of the press coverage. There was no evidence to indicate that Mr Pun had been ‘humiliated’ or ‘distressed’ in any way.
We are quoted in a number of media as saying ‘we made a mistake’. We neither made a mistake nor stated at any time that we had done so. Everything that took place during this interaction was completely appropriate and consistent with best practice.
As a result of this misleading coverage, which we are pursuing with the Press Complaints Commission, I regret that Andy Finlay who is a highly committed member of staff, has been the victim of personal attack in the form of emails and internet message-boards. This level of abuse, victimisation and vitriol is a totally unacceptable way for people to behave, and we have involved the police.
The West Middlesex University Hospital has a long and proud tradition of treating service men and women. We also have a duty of care to ensure that NHS resources are used for those who are eligible to free care. This misleading coverage does not do justice to the good work that we are doing and in particular has led to the maligning of a member of staff who has my full support.
It would appear once again our wonderfull Press have manipulated the facts to suit their own ends and have caused hurt to both sides. I hope the Press Complaints Commission investigate this case and force the Newspapers concerned to print a full apology.

Last edited by MReyn24050; 10th Jul 2008 at 18:35. Reason: It would appear that we were not told the full truth.