PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH to go
Thread: SARH to go
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2008, 11:08
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
Ah - at least bootneck has actually answered the question regarding training checks rather than launching off down the complete sideline of engineering audits. Perhaps I shouldn't have included engineering in the inspection routine of the Sar Standards because they don't carry out an engineering audit or a QA and it has led some off in completely the wrong direction.

So Bootneck what I think you mean is:

A GH sortie, a day/night SAR role sortie and an IRT in terms of flying checks and all done, I would suspect, in one visit by the TRE.

Our annual Cat check (conducted by the Sqn Trg staff) is the same but the IRT is done seperately by the IREs. On top of that the SAR Standards visit every 18 months (used to be every year until recently) and conduct ground and air tests, usually another GH sortie and a SAR role sortie on each pilot. On top of that the Flt QHIs and rearcrew T cats are expected to fly with their pilots/radops/winchmen to conduct continuation training on a regular basis.
Aditionally, we are one of the few remaining areas in the RAF that have retained the CR, CR(A) and CR(S) operating categories so that crews have something to aspire to and incentive to improve knowledge and skills - I don't believe such a system exists in the civsar world (no doubt it costs too much)

All this willy-waving is not to say we are better than you but to highlight what you will lose from UKSAR if and when the SARH contract is let in its present state. Not so many will transfer as is expected because seniority with the company will dictate posting locations so ex-mil will get the last choices and many of the experienced crews are caught in pension/ boarding school traps. Therefore, what do you think will happen to the quality, overall, of UK SAR?