PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing evidence that the downturn is upon us....
Old 9th Jul 2008, 10:44
cirruscrystal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The AOC we have adopted has min of 700 PIC (200 ME) so newly qualified pilots are not eligible atall. You will find that this is the nomral minimum for charter as air taxi requires this under CAA regs. One cannot gain safety pilot time as the aircraft are single pilot operation, as are most charters so limits charter entry generally to experienced.

I am sure that you might be able to pickup some work instructing if you have a good relationship with your school.

My thoughts on it all are that if one can afford the training and it is a concern that regrets will be had later in life then should definately complete. It is not a career to follow if already in a good career in my view as aspirations can more than be achieved by flying privately and as someone said you wont get a job, you might be one of the lucky say 5-10% and you will. Even PPL training is now being hauled back due to economic situation and less people spending on private flying training.

From the guys i trained with and have kept in contact with, i am the only one employed in aviation, everybody else has gone back to old careers. All of them perfectly able and good pilots i am sure. I am only working part time with charter company and continue to work as a teacher part time, to provide properly for my family and keep the sensible career open.