PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2008, 22:13
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Range

Don't forget, old chap, that 'range' is a bit more complex than it appears. Aircraft with long 'range' are also able to go to short 'range' targets but can loiter a bit while the CJs smack the SAM sites, they can retrograde when the Flankers launch, and they can hit the target later. They can also 'gate' on the run out when it's all gone pear-shaped. Options denied to those with smaller 'range', who on paper should have had the same effect. Those chaps have to scurry home to Mum and tell someone else that they have to do it all again tomorrow.

Given the same FOB, and the same FAC, the same distance away, an aircraft with a greater 'range' will actually give a greater persistence than his shorter 'range' competitor.

Oh, and let's not forget, they're probably going home to Mum. So the 'i was a little careless with the blower due to a minor SA-15/ Fulcrum combo issue, can i come home early please?' Will probably be met with a 'No, everyone's in the same boat' type answer. (The ones we all love). However, given greater 'range' not only might the aircraft in question not need any favours - most of the boys in the stack might agree to slip a minute or two in return for a Smiths post de-brief.

If anyone ever offered me greater range, more bombs or a f@#king fan, i know what i'd go for.