PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I Quit the HKAOA?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2008, 18:04
Rook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am new to Cx and I plan to join the HKAOA.
I have been reading this forum for several years and I have a pretty good idea of peoples opinions regarding the current CoS and AOA. I don't however, understand what good could come of not joining or quitting the AOA. Would I be (or should I say, will I be) frustrated by losses in CoS and pay? Definitely. I fully understand that. Yet I still can't see the point. If you quit you are on you own. Sort of. The CoS and pay you will work with are still going to be negotiated by something you decided not to support. Is that incorrect? The way I see it, you just weaken the group who are trying to negotiate for the all the pilots, including yourself. If the AOA had 100% involvement and still couldn't achieve any desirable results then perhaps another plan is needed. Perhaps ALPA Intl.?
I have worked for both union and non-union companies. I can easily say that I prefer the first. Do I like unions? Nope. Do I like the idea of paying dues? Not particularly. All in though, I do think they are a necessary evil for a pilot group with any kind of numbers. To be on your own sucks and the results will be far worse. To summarize, I see two options:
- ALL pilots join the AOA
- ALL pilots join another union

I don't think either will cure all but anything else will be worse.