PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2008, 16:44
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Week At 6 B.f.t.s

Now I have my log book and classroom notes to hand my memory is refreshed to some degree. I was evidently instructed by Mr Dux on familiarization , taxying ,medium turns, climbing and gliding, straight and level,stalling, and over shoot procedure. This was all carried out over the 101 ranch. To us youngsters it was , a perfect life, spoiled only that we knew we could be eliminated (washed out) at any time, and it really did bother us all the time we were there.
Also three hours instrument flying on the link trainer, under the hood as we called it

Each day we spent a half day in the classrooms. My notes show we were taught starting procedures for the P.T 17, and stopping, the engine. How to prolong engine life, and after instruction on the lubrication system we had to draw a diagram of the complete system. We also learned and memorized all the lamp signals for take off and landing, as there were no radios in the P.T17s. For instance, the aircraft letter was flashed in green to indicate permission to land, intermittent red meant total refusal to land and many more , such as signals by night plus torch signals by ground staff.

The evenings were spent swotting up our notes ,with an occasional swim in the camp pool to cool off.

Last edited by cliffnemo; 9th Jul 2008 at 09:30.