PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Exodus from Skippers (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2008, 13:46
skycapt_73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Speed, i was wondering if you had read the factual Interim Factual Report from the ATSB with respect to the actions of the crew? At 400ft AGL the report indicates that the aircraft began to yaw significantly even at the low power setting to the point where the pilot flying indentified that he could not re-establish the aircraft onto the centre line, at which point the approach was not stabilised and in keeping with SA procedures, the call to go-around was made and in keeping with any procedure I have ever seen both power levers were advanced resulting in a very significant yaw. No indication suggested the left tank was empty and due to the time taken to stabilise and clean up the aircraft and the proximity and ease of access to Wiluna the decision was made to land at Wiluna.

The reason I indicate these findings is because faced with a similar unknown failure that pushed the approach to a point at which it could not be recovered I am just wondering what you would have done? Do you think you could have wrestled the aircraft back onto the centre line within 400ft of the ground, when 2 other pilots were unable to do so? Or would you have straight away recognised the failure pulled both levers back to reduce the yaw effect and maybe landed short? What exactly would you have done? I mean 400ft is almost 1 mile from the threshold and seconds from landing?

I for one want to commend the pilots on recovering and saving the aircraft and the passengers in what would have been very busy and stressful few minutes.

It is easy to ask questions in hindsight and say every action or decision was wrong.