PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing evidence that the downturn is upon us....
Old 8th Jul 2008, 12:43
Artie Fufkin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AceD3,

If you think everyone is being negative now, just give it a few months.

When I started training, we were at the trough of the last downturn, there were no jobs what so ever and anyone who even dared suggest they were thinking about starting training were mauled to pieces by a very bitter, angry and depressed bunch of unemployed low hours fATPLs.

I started looking into training in 2003, to start mid 2004, to finish during the recruitment season of 2005. I was told by the pprune masses (under an old login name) that I was a complete idiot who had more money than sense and that I was a "lamb to the slaughter" for the marketing guys at the flight schools. In line with my research, 2005 turned out to be the start of the upturn and I walked pretty much straight into a job. Timing is absolutely everything. Lots of jobs, relatively low numbers of newly qualifieds.

I would argue that the downturn hasn't even remotely bottomed out and there is no real honest ability to see when the jobs for low hours fATPLs will be back in abundance again. Best advise would be hold fire for now. Some would say I was lucky (I was) but there is a certain amount of creating your own luck by making a genuine and honest estimate of when the good times will be back and coordinating training with that. Now is most certainly not the time.