PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing evidence that the downturn is upon us....
Old 8th Jul 2008, 12:30
Tony Hirst
Formerly HWD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AceD3,
Okay, so we're heading for a recession it seems...I'm 33 and decided that I need to get out of IT before it eats anything left of me and follow my dream career of flying a jet.
I started out in 2002 aged 35 when things wern't looking too brilliant but at least the right side of 2001, then again I missed out on the seemingly huge amount of recruitment that occured in 2006.

Finally finished my IT career with an unexpected offer last March after going through the process part-time and progressing said IT career. Now half way through line training with a 737 operator. In short, go for it, but before you do I suggest you get yourself checked out with a GAPAN assessment and be prepared for a lot of trials and tribulations, many delays, a lot of expense (much more than whatever number you have in your head right now) and a hell of a lot of fun.

Rest assured, early indications are that an airline career blows the souless slog that is IT into the weeds.