PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding at Bryon Bay
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2008, 11:02
go_soaring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As promised, please find below my mates (in Byron Bay) reply to your request..

go_soaring! instead

Byron Gliding Club Inc Vs Byron Bay Gliding Pty Ltd

Byron Gliding Club was established in early '90s and is a club of about 50 members. They operate 2 motorfalkes (one 2 wheel and one Jabiru powered) and are involved with a fair bit with training. They also have a Dimona h36 (with big 2.5lit engine) and a Grob IIIc SL self launch glider which I believe is very nice to fly unlike earlier Grobs. Mark Laird and Ian McPhee (both very experienced x country pilots) are in that club and when they take the Grob to gliding competitions they seem to do well like often winning days!!. Russell White is also in club and he is the person who pioneered flying on the morning Glory and usually 1 or 2 club gliders go north . Byron Gliding are at the white hangars and you must drive past Byron Bay Gliding blue hangars. I think you will find this club offers better value flying. By the way the Jabiru makes for a very interesting motorglider - climbs at 600ft/min (800 solo). I know Ian talks of glider towing with Jabiru falke to tow single seaters!!!.and he has done much on engine installations as you will see on their web site www.byrongliding.com

Byron Bay Gliding Pty Ltd is now run by a enthusiastic french man called "JB" but started with another person about 6 years ago who left Byron gliding club. They are the first gliding you come to when driving in in 2 blue hangars and have about 15 members. They also have 2 single wheel falkes ( C and older D falke which is converted B falke). They also have a new ASK21 Mi motorglider. They also do training and I believe JB is a good instructor but they mainly do joyflights for Tourists/backpackers. I think there is less experience with cross country flying within BBG They did have a DG500M but I gather the owner no longer lets it be used by "JB's club" even though it shown on their web site.

To add to confusion there is also Byron Bay Gliding Inc with think one member!! and now the DG500M

Byron is a beautiful place to fly and could recommend it to all BUT soaring is not that good with soaring about 2 days a week (lots of rain) where as if you go west 100km to the other side of range (eg Warwick Qld - Southern Downs soaring club) you will get much better soaring and cross country.

So that is the story of Byron Gliding confusion