PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New big prop, facing the A320 & 737: TurboLiner.
Old 7th Jul 2008, 22:49
keesje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan

are you connected with them?
No, I've never had anything to do with RR.

Just one point about the reduced size cargo holds. A lot of routes need freight business to stay profitable. I fly A320s around China and we nearly always have at least 2 tonnes of freight in the holds.
I think the strenght of the A320 is that it is able to load cargo containers and a full passenger load and fly it over medium distances like in the Chinese market. But it is also the reason that it is relatively heavy / overpowered for short trips. On short trips cargo is less important. Door to door trucks / didicated transport chains in populated areas are hard to beat for the shorters sectors the Turboliner would serve.

I tried to dimension the cargohold to be just big enough to handle the luggage for a full load of holiday travellers. Lowering the floor created room for big luggage bins enabling more hand luggage for short haul / day business trips to e.g. LCY.

Your high capacity TP design looks like it is trying to justify it's design by stealing the business from the current designs.
No that's not the intent. The intent is to provide a feasible low risk way to reduce fuel costs by at least 20% in the important 150 segment. Airlines are begging for that.

Airbus and Boeing have enormous backlogs and are in no hurry, saying breakthroughs are neccessary that can not be done before 2020.