PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the perfect wing waggle!
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2008, 19:36
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 425 Likes on 224 Posts
Live a little...
Thanks for your advice; I have already been living (and flying) quite a lot, really.

First solo glider 37 yrs ago, PPL training 35 years ago. Then nearly two decades of military flying, including basic and advanced instruction, well beyond PPL, teaching aeros, close formation, instrument flying etc. A fair bit of rotary too, including display flying. Teaching at basic and advanced levels to combat ready. Now done nearly another fifteen years of civvie stuff and I certainly do intend to carry "living a little" for a long time yet.

However, your serious topic.....

Sadly, quite a few of my friends and colleagues, some of them supposed "sharp cookies", are sadly no longer here to live even a little. By coincidence with your last posting, one of them got himself killed by getting into something beyond his handling capabilities at 1,000 ft, and the aircraft went out of control. His girlfriend was also in the accident, she was in the back seat. She survived, but nearly twenty years on, is no longer the same person, physically and mentally. I went to the accident site, a very sorry scene, as it was very close to my home. I still have to fly over it regularly and so I won't forget....

My real point is that requesting advice from a public website isn't the safest way for inexperienced pilots to improve their handling skills. In any event, if you fly a regular Cessna or a Piper, a "wing waggle" is more likely to look like a wing "wallow" from the ground.

Take care out there, especially when your kids are on board; your folks on the ground will be impressed enough just by looking up and seeing you there.