PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2008, 18:34
gkyip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, to answer some questions...

Jamer, well done on getting through to stage 4, you are going to love it! Let us know the result when you hear! As for the medical...I passed my phase 4 on May 8th and didn't have my medical until June 17th due to university exams. After your medical, everything else falls into place easily. I don't they mind too much how long it takes for you to get it as long as your course is not too soon. I start in september so I still have plenty of time. AFAIK at the moment courses for 2008 are full and they are currently taking places for early 2009 so if you pass phase 4 on thursday, you'll still have plenty of time! Good luck and enjoy yourself!

I'm in CP65 which starts Sept 8th. My course schedule has a provisional date of 25th January 2010 to start advanced training. (Advanced training is base and line training with your allocated airline so you'll already be doing your dream job of flying commercial airliners!) After that I think it's about 6 months of line training before you officially graduate from CTC and start earning a salary.

As for the practical flying vs ground school ratio it's not very clear. Much ground school is self study so depends on how much work youhave to put in yourself. CTC gives you a lot more flying hours than other FTOs though.

The ground school AFAIK is pretty much on par with A level physics and maths although I've just completed my University of Leeds degree in Aviation technology and a lot of modules in the course are ATPL subjects (avionics, aircraft electrics, meterology etc) but they're not too difficult to follow. CTC's selection screening will idenitfy your ability to cope with all the ground school. They look at your qualifications in stage 1. They have a simple maths aptitude test in phase 2 and they will learn a lot from you throughout the other phases of selection.

Hope all this helps,

Gary