PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL the glider route.
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2008, 18:19
emdiesse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking PPL the glider route.

Hello,

I have just discovered that I have probably been fairly stupid. My university has a gliding club, which i dismissed in the first year for fears of it being very expensive. Now I have began to start thinking why have I not persued my childhood ambition of becoming a pilot I have been carrying out alot of research. I remembered the gliding club and I have just discovered the prices are insanely cheap, if I have read them correctly:

Gliding club membership per year (must hold a Unisport card) £10.00
Winch launch (first one each week is free) £7.50
Soaring fees (we envisage that all soaring fees will be paid by the union, only people flying well above the average will be charged - contact the committee if you would like further details of how this works) £0.25/min
Aerotow to 2000' (you may have a £7.50 discount on this rather than the free winch launch - making it £18.50) £26.00
Additional 500' on aerotow £2.70
Petrol money for trips (depending on number of people on trip) £2 to £5
Falke motor glider time (the £7.50 may be used towards this) £1.05/min
Premium membership (gives you half price winch launches for the year - this means you will get two free flights per week) £100.00

Before becoming a member of Lasham Gliding Society (the union pays for this) you must read the mandatory safety sections (in red) of the Lasham manual .

now to me that sounds like I could pay a tenner a year and work my way up to a license from the free winches each week?

Then I could take a conversion course to get a PPL?

(obviously I am not including ground study and exam fees, but practical flight time. Also, does gliding flight hours count in any way towards PPL, CPL and ATPL?)

Have I understood this correctly?

Thank you