PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 7th Jul 2008, 17:21
Tappers Dad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Flipster I found it here:
http://www.aia-aerospace.org/issues/...02-2doc17c.doc
ACJ 39.3(b)(4)
SUBJECT TITLE DEFECT CORRECTION - SUFFICIENCY OF PROPOSED CORRECTIVE ACTION
PURPOSE This ACJ provides guidelines (not regulations)to assist in establishing rectification campaigns to remedy discovered defects.

This ACJ contains guidance material of a general nature, not intended to be regarded as binding in specific cases, but, by being used in conjunction with engineering judgement, to aid airworthiness engineers in reaching decisions in the state of technology at the material time.

Table 1

Estimated catastrophe rate to aircraft due to the defect under consideration (per a/c hour) Necessary reaction time for each aircraft at risk (hours)
On a calendar basis
4 x 10-8 3750 15 months (How long has it been since 230-22 months)
5 x 10-8 3000 12 months
1 x 10-7 1500 6 months
2 x 10-7 750 3 months
5 x 10-7 300 6 weeks
1 x 10-6 150 3 weeks
1 x 10-5 15 Return to base

3.3 While it should clearly be the objective of all to react to and eliminate emergency situations i.e. those involving a potentially significant increase of airworthiness risk levels without unreasonable delay, an Authority must be able finally to rule on what is a minimum acceptable campaign programme. It has therefore seemed desirable to devise guidelines to be used in judging whether a proposed campaign of corrective actions is sufficient in airworthiness terms, and clearly this ought to be based on determining the summation of the achieved airworthiness risk levels for the aircraft and passengers during any periods of corrective action and comparing them with some agreed target.

4.3 It must be stressed that the benefit of these guidelines will be to form a datum for what is considered to be the theoretically maximum reaction time. A considerable amount of judgement will still be necessary in establishing many of the input factors and the final decision may still need to be tempered by non-numerical considerations, but the method proposed will at least provide a rational 'departure point' for any exercise of such judgement.

It appears as with everthing else the RAF has overran the maximum time this gives them to rectify the problems.

But thank you Flipster I will take it along with me when I meet with Bob Answorth and the Chief of Airstaff this wek.