PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was it the same? When you were having your flight training
Old 7th Jul 2008, 17:14
Farrell
The Cooler King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AV Enthusiast....

From reading your last post, I get the feeling that you are expecting to pay in the region of 35,000 USD for your training.
Although that is what it says on the package, you would need to be very careful about the other hidden and not-so-hidden charges.

Let's say for argument's sake, you are going to hook up with one of the schools in Florida - the 35,000 that you have in your head sounds about right for there.

That price is for a set number of hours and includes I think about three months of accommodation. You also have to factor in other stuff like food, visa charges, flights to and from the US, TSA and fingerprints, buying a car or renting one and depending where you are from, that would mean doing a driver's ed course as well.

But the main shocker for most wannabes I have met over the years is that the 35,000 USD is for the bare minimum number of flight hours needed to get the job done. If you are above average then maybe you will make it, but the majority need more time to get it done and at about 100 USD an hour or more for a bugsmasher with an instructor on board, you can see how that can start mounting up quickly.

Add into that the notoriously unstable weather in the Florida area and you could find that 3 months running on a lot longer - and then you have to start forking out for more accommodation and transport and maybe even a trip out of the US to renew your visa depending on where you are from.

You then have the exam fees and extra money for buying flight gear. Trust me, you can't do this properly using the crap that most schools hand out.
Headsets, flightbag, computers, charts, radio, bits and pieces, books, shirts etc.....all adds up.

And unless you are planning on doing all your flying in the US, you will need to convert some of it when you move home again. You may even need to pay for a whole ATPL course and exams and a new medical.

Actually, do me favour.....I have never seen a wannabe post what I am asking you to do......post a full budget plan on what you think your costs would be, and then either me or another will go through it and give you advice - then it should be a sticky.

I would love to see you become a pilot and get what you want out of life - but am also, like with most wannabes, concerned that you will jump in too fast.

Farrell