PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job applicants, age, experience.
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2008, 14:44
Flingingwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HM,

Reckon the advert you describe is for the Utopian candidate

IMHO. End role will be a factor. Candidate No 2 could be sent out without too many worries almost immediately. And if they've that many hours and a poor reputation then all the experience in the world aint going to be much help

Candidate No1, I agree, has all the right qualifiactions and committment, but no practical proven history in the 'new' role and that will make both employer and customer anxious. So you ideally need a role where candidate No 1 can be properly supervised and progressed in a logical, sensible and responsible manner. Problem is not many companies have that role flexibility.

Two years ago I may have thought differently, but having been candidate No1 I'm very aware of what I was shown and the guidance I recieved I've learnt loads but still have far more to learn, and with hindsight two years ago in a 109 I'd have been a nightmare waiting to happen

I agree it's not all about hours (and that No1 deserves a chance). Hours are just one part of the equation that leads to finding the right employee.

It's just so bloody frustrating when you see the adverts (chicken and egg etc etc).

FW