PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA aircraft crashed in Honduras
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2008, 14:12
RWA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemurian
You know wrong. Pull T/Ls back to the idle stop / Reach in front of T/Ls and lift the reverse *pallets* that unlock the stops / Pull T/Ls into reverse range / Modulate.
Thanks again, Lemurian. To impart my full knowledge of airliner throttles so far (though I did occasionally fly powered aircraft as well as gliders! ):-

1. Boeing 737 - (and presumably other Boeings - from sitting on the jumpseat) - separate throttle and reverser levers (the latter higher up on the pedestal). You pull the throttles right back, then reach for and pull the reverser levers (which won't move unless the throttle levers are in 'idle'). To cancel reverse, you just 'return' the reverser levers - as far as the main throttles are concerned, they've been 'finished with engines' ever since you brought them right back.

2. Airbuses (A330 on - from photographs) - similar setup, except that the reverser levers, though separate, are mounted on the front of the main throttle levers. Same principle, though - once you've pulled the main throttles back, they 'stay where they're put,' and you reach over them and work with the reverser levers only. To cancel reverse thrust, all you do is push the separate, auxiliary, reverser levers fully forward/down.

3. Airbus A320 (again from photographs etc.) - the same levers do both jobs, much like the gear lever on an automatic car. You pull the levers back to the 'stop' (which is in fact called the 'Idle Detent'); and then, to engage reverse thrust, you lift the latches and pull the SAME two main levers back into the reverse thrust quadrant. To cancel reverse thrust, you push the levers forward again into the idle 'detent.'

In both cases, 'retarding' and 'cancelling reverse,' having moved the levers into 'Idle,' you have an extra job to do, compared to the other aeroplanes I've described. You have to make extra sure that you actually HAVE got the levers to 'idle,' and not anywhere in front of it or behind it. Which you do by giving them a further firm pull back to make sure that they're hard against the stops?

YouTube - Airbus A320 landing Ilha da madeira

Originally Posted by Lemurian
Confirm the idle stop.
For further reference, please see the above video of a (really good) A320 landing at Madeira.

Have I got it right now?

Last edited by RWA; 7th Jul 2008 at 14:25.