PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA aircraft crashed in Honduras
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2008, 10:13
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaker One,

For the "five" call to be generated, you may well have an extended floater on your hands.
The flare is normally started at 20 ft. from the recording, six seconds elapsed between that auto call and the touch-down. That's a longish flare or a short floater (at my speed assumptions, that's also some 500 m of runway gone).
If there was any danger of an extended landing roll, why does the CVR record the engines spooling down 'early' indicating that reverse thrust had been cancelled? You'd keep them in full reverse until the fullstop if necessary.
Good point. It looks, till that instant that for the handling pilot, everything was quite normal ; he even anticipates the 70 kt call by cancelling the reverse thrust.
Does 'decal' on the CVR mean decel? If so, this was given after the 'manual breaking' call. That's the wrong way round isn't it? The decel light will extinguish once manual braking is applied.
Good point, again. The "DECEL" light is on each switchlight of the autobrake system. My only explanation is that the F/O referred to *some deceleration* achieved and my gross computation of that deceleration value is in fact superior to the norm achieved with "MED" auto brakes (3.4 m/s/s iso 3 m/s/s ).
I don't think the spoilers retract until the speed brake lever is depressed,
One T/L forward at more than 20° will retract the ground spoilers.
We'll wait for the official investigation to be concluded.
Agreed.

RWA,
I know that to engage reverse you pull them both back against the stops, then press the side-catches to move them into 'reverse idle,' then pull them back further for reverse thrust.
You know wrong. Pull T/Ls back to the idle stop / Reach in front of T/Ls and lift the reverse *pallets* that unlock the stops / Pull T/Ls into reverse range / Modulate.
The gesture is very similar to another set-up but is more precise.
How does it work as you cancel reverse? Presumably it's the same process the other way round? Trip the catches, push the levers forward, then pull them firmly back against the stops once again to make sure that you're back in 'forward idle'?
Just push them out of the reverse range. The little *pallets* will click back down, thus preventing another ingress into reverse. Confirm the idle stop.