PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Waddington Airshow
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2008, 09:45
It's Life Jim 208

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waddo on Sunday

I managed to finish nights at 0400hrs so I went to the Airshow Here are my observations for what they are worth.

Traffic situation locally going in wasn't bad at all Dragon Ops dropped me off in the village so went in the pedestrian gate, the entry fee at the gate £20 for pedestrians mmmm. No discretionary prices for serving members or veterans, puts a bit of a mockery on all those posters "once in the RAF always in the RAFBF" especially after doing 32 years in the RAF.

Static display not bad considering what's going on in the world, altough some of those aircrews could be a little more helpful. The spams next to the E-3C, who had no-one else to speak to, when asked what the new bumps on the nose were? Replied "somthing to do with the radar system". No sh*t Sherlock, sorry I asked.

Great to see 558 (the main reason for going) pity about the silly cockpit cover for the photographers when she was parked on the Lazy.

Where did they dig up that silly woman commentator from, okay for the lost children announcements but she obviously knows didly about aircraft.

Yes, the food prices were very expensive, yes agree about picnics but if you're on foot and alot of locals were, proved by the numbers on the shuttle buses from Lincoln. Then one has to lug around what you need, cameras, umbrella, waterproofs, drinks, purchases from stalls So £2.50 for a small tray of chips is pricey, is there a fixed pricing system going on ? An entrepener selling them at £1.50 would be maxed out.

Generally the vendor stall selling books and aviation related items were very good.

Absolutely gutted that 558 didn't fly, the Gods had cleared the sky for her slot, sadly there appeared to be an electrical problem, the crew tried 3 times but to no avail at least the Elephant Walk was appreciated, around me the soaked shivering stalwarts were very understanding.

I HAVE ONE MAJOR COMPLAINT - WHO WAS THAT BIG HEADED IDIOT FROM THE RED ARROWS WHO ANOUNCED THE BRITISH GP RESULT AND WENT ON TO BRAG ABOUT BEING IN THE PIT LANE AT SILVERSTONE , SHAME ON YOU, ENGAGE BRAIN BEFORE OPENING MOUTH! It had to be explained to him that many of the Hoy Poloy at the show were recording it to watch later.

All in all not a bad day out, the weather tried it's best to ruin the show at times, the Display did have some very long gaps, how about getting some of those military vehicles to parade along the crowd line when you have a 20min gap in future. The Spit and Typhoon display was fantastic, BBMF superb, lets hope 558 achieves the same serviceability rate of PA474 in future.

An abject apology from RED10 would go down well on here, then again I bet he wouldn't lower himself.

Oh and the tall Sqn Ldr who had to eventually move his Astra because he blocked the Fire Safety Lane and also blocked the Chefs in, just south of the VIP Tent, you also blocked the clear view of 558 when she was running up for alot of the crowd in that area as well, thanks mate.

Rick S